Serving as a prelude to the big day, bridal showers hold a special place in the hearts of those involved. If you’ve been invited to a bridal shower, your present is quite significant for the bride-to-be. As such, you might want to put time and effort into your outfit. But in some cases, it can be a challenge to find what to wear to a bridal shower as a guest.
To help you deal with this situation, Viva Wedding Photography has shared some general guidelines and specific suggestions for your ensemble. The following outfit ideas will surely channel your inner fashionista and allow you to shine like a diamond in your own right!
Dressing Etiquette For a Bridal Shower
Before diving into detail about outfit ideas, we want you to know some dos and don’ts of bridal shower dress etiquette for guests.
- Do consider the theme, venue, and time of the bridal shower. If the invitation specifies a dress code, follow it accordingly.
- Dress in pastels, neutrals, and bright colors to complement the joyous tone of a bridal shower.
- Avoid anything too low-cut, short, sheer, or tight. Dress comfortably in case there are bridal shower games.
- Accessorize with delicate jewelry
- Go overboard with extravagant outfits or ball gowns. A bridal shower is not the time to show off your assets or make a fashion statement. Keep your outfits elegant and classy, not trashy or flashy.
- Wear white. As white is traditionally reserved for the bride, you don’t want to upstage her or look like you are competing for her spotlight.
- Wear black. This color is usually associated with mourning or formality, so it may look too somber or serious for a bridal shower.
What to Wear to a Bridal Shower as a Guest
Based on the Level of Formality
Depending on the level of formality and the dress code, you may have different options for what to wear to a bridal shower as a guest. Here are some suggestions based on common scenarios:
What to Wear to a Fancy Bridal Shower
The level of formality can typically be noticed from the chosen phrasing of the invitation. When the invitation spells out numbers, avoids abbreviations, or uses phrases such as “request the pleasure of your company,” it suggests a preference for a more formal bridal shower. If you’re still not sure, check whether the invitation includes any guidance regarding the dress code, such as using words like “festive” or “cocktail attire.”
Besides the invitation wording, the bridal shower venue might also give you some subtle hints regarding the party’s formality. If the bridal shower is going to be held at an upscale venue like a country club, hotel, or restaurant, you might want to dress in a more formal manner.
Here are some ideas on what to wear to a bridal shower as a guest when you attend a fancy bridal shower:
- Cocktail outfit like a knee-length dress
- Baggy silk slacks, a silk top, and a leather jacket.
- Wearing a sparkly pencil skirt, dark tights, and a cashmere sweater.
- Ankle-grazing satin slacks, a crushed velvet blazer, and strappy shoes.
Don’t forget the extras:
- Pricier, more formal jewelry
- A clutch or a little purse
What to Wear to a Casual Bridal Shower
When attending a bridal shower with a more casual atmosphere, we recommend keeping the balance between a polished and festive outfit. Consider opting for ballet flats instead of heels to enhance your overall comfort. Additionally, incorporating daytime fabrics such as cotton, wool, and denim into your outfit can further elevate your style.
Here are some ideas that you can consider when choosing your bridal shower guest outfit:
- A dress is a wrap style and is made of gingham.
- A floral top, dressy pants, and a warm coat
- A denim shirt dress with tall boots
- A jumpsuit
Include accessories such as:
- Fragile jewelry
- Something like a leather pouch or a crossbody bag
Based on Dress Code
What to Wear to a Boho Bridal Shower
With the boho theme, “What to wear to a bridal shower as a guest?” is by no means a difficult question to answer. This dress code is undeniably one of the most enjoyable and liberating styles to embrace. When choosing your outfit, why not opt for something that exudes a sense of effortless elegance and individuality? Consider adorning yourself in a garment that is both flowy and feminine, allowing the fabric to drape and move with your every step gracefully.
Here are some ideas to help you look like a boho diva:
- A maxi dress
- A wide-leg (or palazzo pants) go with an off-shoulder top
Make your bridal shower guest outfit more attractive with some accessories such as:
- Layer necklaces
- Hoop earrings, floppy hat
- Espadrilles and wedges shoes
What to Wear to a Bridal Shower Brunch
For this bridal shower theme, brunch attire will ensure that you are impeccably dressed, exuding both style and sophistication. It is recommended to opt for garments that bring a sense of lightness, airiness, and freshness.
Consider the following ensemble ideas:
- A sundress
- A floral dress with pastel colors
Add some charm to your look with:
- A straw bag
- A scarf
What to Wear to a Tea Party Bridal Shower
When it comes to the question “What to wear to a bridal shower as a guest?” especially if it’s a tea party, one commonly comes up with a vintage, feminine, and elegant ensemble.
You might want to wear:
- A tea-length dress
- A midi skirt with a cardigan
- A lace dress
- A mid-length dress paired with wedges
Top off your look with:
- Heels or flats
- A pearl necklace
- A fascinator
Based on the Location
What to Wear to a Backyard Bridal Shower
A bridal shower in a backyard is typically not too formal, but you should never assume it would be casual. It would be a good idea to politely ask the host(s) if jeans and sneakers are appropriate for the party.
If you’re still sitting on a fence about what to wear to a bridal shower that is held in someone’s backyard, here are some suggested ensemble ideas:
- A swishy summer outfit
- Some colored chinos and a button-down shirt
- Black pants, a flowy blouse, and flat boots.
- Midi skirt with pleats, fitted tank top, and a light jacket made of linen.
Finish your look with:
- Sandals or wedges
What to Wear to a Restaurant Shower
What to wear to a bridal shower as a guest varies with the venue’s vibe and level of formality. Choose concepts similar to the casual or backyard showers mentioned above if the venue is a casual BBQ setting with outdoor picnic tables. When dining at an elegant establishment adorned with pristine white tablecloths, an outfit that exudes sophistication is essential.
Here are some suggestions for you:
- A sheath dress made with lace
- A dress that is knee-length in a solid color or a subtle print
- A long, sleeveless dress
- Separates that go together, such as a satin jacket and pajama bottoms
- High-rise pants and a blouse
Don’t forget the accessories like:
- Block heels
- Bright lipstick
Based on the Season
Spring or Summer Bridal Shower Guest Outfit
When selecting the perfect attire for spring or summer bridal showers, one cannot go wrong with the charm of bright and light colors. Pastels and vibrant hues take center stage, exuding an air of freshness and vitality. In addition, floral patterns and other summery prints such as gingham, madras plaid, and seersucker effortlessly capture the spirit of the occasion. Silk, linen, and breathable fabrics also bring a cool, crisp feel.
Here are some ideas for your spring/summer bridal shower guest outfit:
- A linen jumpsuit
- A floral, ruffled, high-low dress
- A pair of cropped white pants, a bright silk top, and floral wedges
- A patterned tunic dress and lace-up sandals
Add some charm to your look with:
- A rattan purse or straw tote
- A fresh pedicure
Fall or Winter Bridal Shower Guest Outfit
For a bridal shower in the fall or winter, choose rich, warm, or dark hues. Although most showers during these months will be held indoors, you should still dress for the season by opting for longer sleeve lengths and heavier fabrics.
Look at these suggestions for your fall/winter bridal shower guest outfit:
- A turtleneck sweater dress and opaque tights
- A long-sleeve wrap dress
- Wide-leg wool pants and an embroidered sweater
- A crisp button-down tucked into a full skirt
Include accessories such as:
- Over-the-knee boots
- A leather bag or gloves
- Long, layered necklaces
>>> Further Reading:
- Engagement Party Outfits Guest: Guide To Dress For The Event
- 27 Completely Amazing Bachelorette Party Outfit Ideas
- 20 Chic Bridal Shower Guest Dress Ideas Based On The Season
The most memorable days of a bride’s life start with her bridal shower. So, dress up for her bridal shower in a way that complements the event’s theme and makes her happy! If there is one rule you must follow, it is that you should not steal the spotlight away from the bride. Sticking to pastel and light hues is the greatest approach to keeping things light and joyful. Viva Wedding Photography hopes that this article has helped you find out what to wear to a bridal shower as a guest. And now, it’s your turn to mix and match and be the best-dressed attendee!